Friday, March 12, 2010

WTF! D&D running commentary on the original rules

Sadly, this bit over at somethingawful.com is as close as I have ever come to seeing the inside of the original D&D rules. I found it entertaining; others may be offended. But I think their final analysis of OD&D vs. 4thed is pretty cogent:

Steve: Gygax didn't have 50 writers and 100 artists and color printing. He just went out there and said, hey, here's how you subdue a dragon and sell it as a slave. Here's what a robot is doing in a fantasy game. Deal with it. I made it up, deal with it.

Zack: And now a committee has designed everything.

Steve: The stupid baby committee.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a shame that so many people have no access to those early D&D books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a happy consequence of this little post, I am no longer one of them. An excruciatingly kind reader has made available to me the 3 original books. Excuse me while I disappear into my lair to digest this new-found bounty...

    ReplyDelete