Sunday, December 25, 2016

Merry Christmas from the Borderlands!

Ho Ho Ho!
Back in Christmas '82, my artsy aunt gave me a big ol' box of colored pencils which I promptly put to use attempting to recreate Erol Otus's famous illustration of the ol' KEEP on the B'lands, above.  My rendition was pretty terrible--I'm a tepid draftsman on my best day, and adding color to the mix exacerbates my illustrative shortcomings twelvefold--but ever since then I've associated Erol Otus's famous drawing of the KEEP with the Yuletide season. Besides the experiential reasoning, that party of adventurers on the road elicit a feeling of homecoming for me. Perhaps they live in Tennessee and they're headin' for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie.

2 comments:

  1. Not bad...I envy people with ANY artistic ability, having zero myself.

    Stupid question: are you on Dragonsfoot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Zanax, Codeine, Oxycontin, Claritin, Dimetapp, Phenobarbytol, Venapro, Dulcolax, Focalin... nope, no Dragonsfoot.

    Seriously though, I occasionally visit Dragonsfoot when my research calls for it, but I've never posted anything there if that's what you mean.

    Also, just so we're clear, the image in the post above is not my rendition, it's the Erol Otus original. Or rather a print of it. Or rather a jpg of a print of it.

    ReplyDelete