Monday, November 13, 2023

Dark Greyhawk: Why didn't I think of this?

Somebody came up with an incredibly cool idea that I really wish I'd thought to do: they've made a map of Greyhawk that illustrates the consequences if the PCs had failed at all the classic modules. Awesome, right? 

Side note: when showcasing someone else's work, I like to direct readers to the artist's site whenever I can, but for whatever reason, the direct link doesn't always connect from Bloogle. You can try it, click below:

https://inkarnate.com/m/dwJQEe-dark-greyhawk/ 

If that doesn't work, copy the text into your browser:

https://inkarnate.com/m/dwJQEe-dark-greyhawk/

If all else fails (or you're just lazy) click on the image here.

The source of the Land of the Elder Elemental God where Veluna once stood is fairly obvious. Explicticus's Defile is awesome (N1). The Witch Queen has got to be Iggwilv of S4 fame. And we've got the giants and drow kingdoms from the G and D series in the Hellfurnaces and Sheldomar valley. That said, I'm not actually familiar with a lot of the other references: because it's in the Pomarj, I'm assuming the Earth Dragon has something to do with the Slaver series though I don't recall any reference to such in the original modules. The Kingdom of the Efreet brings to mind the cover art from the original DMG, but I'm guessing there's a module out there that explains this more fully. And I'm not sure why the Lendore Isles are now the Lost Isles and not something more assassin-y or Bugbear-y. And why are the Sea Barons now the Hold of the Sea Pirates? Anyway, neat idea. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your post! Your insights are enlightening. Please write more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No seriously, this is amazing. First, I'm glad you're still posting (an old reader from 2010 coming back to the scene who's lost his Blogger login), and this seems like an amazing idea for a campaign. A bunch of high-level Law-aligned NPCs ruining all the murderhobo fun and heroic deeds the party gets up to? Ugh. A bunch of new, unstable, violently expansive and chaotic regimes to dodge, sack, flee, and conquer? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is mad and wonderful. I wonder what happens to Mystara under the same circumstances....

    ReplyDelete